Other Programs

Disaster Assistance Program

What it offers

There are 2 kinds of disaster help:

  1. Housing Assistance
    The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) oversees and gives this type of help. It includes:
    • Housing for a limited time
    • Home repair and building
    • Another home (replacement)
  1. Other Needs Assistance
    The Texas Health and Human Services Commission works with FEMA in giving this type of help. It helps pay for disaster-related costs such as:
    • Personal property
    • Transportation
    • Moving and storage
    • Medical and dental needs
    • Funeral needs
    • Child care

Who is it for?

Home owners and renters whose property has been damaged or destroyed in a federally declared disaster.

If a person living in the home isn’t a spouse or dependent, they must apply for help on their own. (To find out if someone is a dependent, go to www.irs.gov.)

People visiting or passing through when the disaster happened also might be able to get help if they had damages.

Other facts

To get Other Needs Assistance these rules must be met:

  • The county where you live must be declared a federal disaster area.
  • You must apply for disaster help and be approved by FEMA.
  • If you need help paying for property, transportation, or moving and storage, you must first apply for a Small Business Administration (SBA) loan. You must do this even if you don’t own a business.
  • If you have insurance (home, health, flood, or car), you need to file a claim with your insurance company. Keep insurance records of the money they give you for losses.
  • You must first use all insurance benefits and any other help you can get from federal, state, and local agencies (for example, insurance settlements, disaster loans, and help from the Red Cross and Salvation Army).
  • You can’t get Other Needs Assistance if you turn down other help.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen. Certain legal immigrants also might be able to get help. If only your child is a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant who meets certain rules, you can apply for help on your child’s behalf.
  • Texas HHSC Other Needs Assistance
    Phone: 1-800-582-5233 (toll-free)
    Email: DisasterAssistance@hhsc.state.tx.us
    Mail: HHSC Disaster Assistance MC Y-950; P.O. Box 149030; Austin, TX 78714
  • FEMA Housing Assistance
    Phone: 1-800-621-3362
    Website: www.FEMA.gov
  • U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Disaster Assistance
    Phone: 1-202-205-6734
    Website: www.SBA.gov